In this class, you will learn how to create powerful, dynamic and life-like figure drawings. Emphasis is placed upon learning traditional techniques while examining the skeletal and muscular structures of the human body.
You will be encouraged to experiment with various drawing media and explore creative mark making.
The instructor works with you at your own pace, offering technical and creative guidance, as you work from the live model, well-lit photographs, and plaster casts, using a wide range of drawing media.
Each class is supplemented with brief lectures and demonstrations, individual and group feedback, as well as suggested homework exercises.
Also included is a 3-hour demonstration once per month, in which a figure drawing is created from start to finish, with the instructor explaining the process step-by-step.
In this class, you will learn a wide range of topics, including:
- Using conte, charcoal, pastel, graphite, crayon, ink
- Basic & advanced anatomy
- Proportions & construction of the figure
- Constructive drawing
- Geometrical shapes & planes of the body
- Weight, volume & three-dimensionality
- Understanding light & value
- Working from imagination & memory
- Sighting & measurement techniques
- Shading techniques
- Creative mark-making
- Line of action
- Long drawings
- Live Model Sessions:
June 25 + July 2 // July 23 + 30 // August 20
- Master Copy + Photo Sessions:
July 9 + 16 // August 6 + 13