In this weekend workshop, you will learn Rembrandt’s secrets of how to integrate texture, glazing and impasto to create a portrait with glowing skin tones and substantial, physical presence.
Working from a master copy, you will create a fully finished portrait painting, learning Rembrandt’s approach step-by-step.
Emphasis will be placed on turning form from dark-to-light & dull-to-bright, as well as using glazing to create chiaroscuro effects.
The instructor works with you at your own pace, offering technical and creative guidance, along with brief lectures, slideshows and demonstrations throughout the weekend.
By creating a textural underpainting in acrylics, then overpainting in oils, you will be able to develop a fully finished portrait in one weekend.
In this workshop, you will learn a wide range of topics, including:
- Building textures in acrylic
- Glazing techniques
- Underpainting in grisaille
- Overpainting in oils
- Creating glowing skin tones with a limited colour palette
- Warm & cool temperature shifts
- Palette knife application
- Soft, hard & lost edges
- Blending & broken brushwork
- Paint application: thin-to-thick, dark-to-light, dull-to-bright