In this weekend workshop, you will explore Jenny Saville’s contemporary approach in creating powerful and evocative paintings, charged with daring and energetic mark-making.
Working from a master copy, you will create a fully finished portrait painting, learning Saville’s approach step-by-step.
You will learn to layer artificial and natural colours and expand your vocabulary of mark-making (drips, splats, scrapes & loaded brush), while maintaining a sense of harmony and realism.
The instructor works with you at your own pace, offering technical and creative guidance, along with brief lectures, slideshows and demonstrations throughout the weekend.
In this workshop, you will learn a wide range of topics, including:
- Expressive mark-making
- Creating moments of detailed realism
- Underpainting in grisaille
- Developing subtle tonal variations
- Layering artificial and natural colour
- Pre-mixing skin tones
- Contrasting warm & cool temperature shifts
- Palette knife & broken brushwork
- Loading the brush with paint
- Creating a psychologically charged composition